Whenever I am on social media (which is invariably way too much), I come across posts which make me think that people are speaking a different language to me. In-jokes and witty references often pass over my head because I have not watched or listened to the latest popular show or song. Sometimes this can make me feel out of touch (which is odd as a 19 year old) but other times it can be quite comical watching memes and joke threads unfold in front of me which seem to me completely bizarre and ridiculous because they are out of context. Without further ado, here are some of my unpopular confessions which explain why am I usually so out of the loop on social media (don’t judge me!).
1. I have never watched Friends. I feel like so many people I know have watched every episode of the series multiple times but when someone says they are a ‘Joey person’ I just look back at them blankly and there are so many Friends gifs which completely bewilder me.
2.What the hell is Stranger Things? I really do not know. I know it’s a Netflix series but apart from that I see people walking around in Stranger Things fan t-shirts and just wonder what the series is whilst also not being bothered to watch it because TV series feel like too much of a commitment to me.
3. I really never got to grips with Snapchat and so I just stopped engaging with it after about a week. I just always felt that it was a worse version of Instagram.
4. I am useless at selfies. I don’t know what it is about me but I can never hold my phone at a normal angle or rest my eyes on the screen without looking that I am staring at myself like a maniac. If I pose then I just come across as looking scary, so there are literally barely any photos of me to find anywhere.
5. I still do not understand what IG TV is and whenever it pops up on my Instagram I stare at the notification with mistrust until it goes away. No matter how many times people talk about what it is, I still do not get it.
6. Whenever someone talks about ‘spilling the tea’, I instantly switch off. The phrase really irks me, especially because I find ‘spilling the tea’ videos to be the most petty and anti-climactic videos on YouTube.
7. I am terrible at motivation posts, so #MondayMotivation is completely out of my league. I either come across as being cringey or just downright annoying if I try to tweet something energetic or inspiring!
8. I have never had a pumpkin spice latte, so I cannot do the typical ‘autumn’s here’ post with a picture of my seasonal Starbucks drink.
9. I find people that only follow me to get a follow back annoying. I usually do follow my followers back anyway especially on Twitter but when people then unfollow me after a day because they’ve already got my follow, I just find it rude.
10. Whenever I am actually doing something interesting, I forget to take a picture or document it in any way, so my social media is always really boring. I literally feel sorry for my followers.